31 March 2010

Sympathetic vs Empathetic

Let's just say.. I read a lot of blogs.
Just a little bit ago I read one about a little girl named Layla Grace Marsh who was battling Stage 4 Neuroblastoma cancer. Now, if my english teacher is reading this, I know I'm supposed to capitalize cancer but I can't. It doesn't deserve to be recognized in that way.

This little girl was born on November 26, 2007. When they found out Layla Grace was SIXTEEN MONTHS OLD! They thought she had an ear infection and they got an urgent message from the doctor telling the Marsh parents into the ER. This is straight from their blog: "Layla has a massive cancerous tumor (Stage 4 Neuroblastoma) in her abdomen. It extends from above her left kidney, around her side, over her belly and wraps around her aorta. In addition, the cancer is in her bone marrow."  There are twelve pages (with three blogs each) of blogs, so I haven't got the chance to read everything but at one point they were told that they had 2 weeks left with their precious baby. It turned out to be 3 months later when God called her name. Her parents wanted her to go running to Him. Just looking at pictures, you can tell she was miserable! Angels took her hand on March 19, 2010 and lead her to His gates.
I have the biggest lump in my throat right now. Part of that lump is from holding back tears, part of that lump is from being sympathetic. I CANNOT imagine how her parents handled the whole thing. I do know from the blogs, that they prayed and cried and prayed some more. Which is all they could do. It's times like these that we forget to pray, or intentionally don't pray. (I'm getting off subject)

Empathy, according to dictionary.com,, is 'Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives.'
Sympathy, according to dictionary.com, is 'Harmony of or agreement in feeling, as between persons or on the part of one person with respect to another.'

You all know how eager I am to have kids. I just can't wait! And I pray to God that all I ever have for this family is sympathy. I know many parents that have lost their child, because I have lost a lot of friends. I know I shouldn't say "lost" but I am for now. Of all (5) friends that I have lost, at a young age, it would be easy for me to pull myself together and never think of them again until I am able to give them a hug in Heaven. But the parents can't, even if they try. The mom carried their baby and helped them grow for 9 months. The dad anxiously awaited the arrival of that baby and helped it grow as soon as he laid eyes on it. All of the sudden your whole life revolves around one heart. It's so important to remember everyone that God calls upon.

My first experience of losing a friend was September 22, 2004. My 5th grade boyfriend, Taylor Bradbury, passed away in a car accident. I'll never forget when I found out. He was 14.
Second experience was 2 months later on November 9, 2004. My middle school best friend's sister Lexi Crittenden, passed away in a house fire. I will never forget that whole day. She was 13.
Third experience was 3 months later on February 13, 2005. My boyfriend in the 9th grade, Nick Bittinger, passed away in a car accident. I'll never forget when I found out. He was 17.
I will tell the stories of finding out, later. This is getting pretty lengthy anyways...

I just want everyone to think back to when they lost a friend.. have you forgotten about them? No matter how long ago it was their families still grieve.
So my prayer request tonight is for you to think of someone that you have lost and pray for their family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts!